AURORA is pleased to award a second round of Artist Relief Grants specifically for self-identifying BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) artists in North Texas who have suffered from the devastating economic impacts of COVID-19.
Supported by PNC Foundation, the AURORA Artist Relief Fund is distributing $20,000 to five grantees ($4,000 each) and is also establishing a business wellness program with workshops and mentorship on best business practices. The goal is to support BIPOC artists in North Texas financially and through mentorship designed to enhance the entrepreneurism of individual artists to help them flourish in a post-pandemic world.
The application period is now closed. The grant recipients will be annouced in May 2021.
Grantees will be selected by an independent panel of artists and other art professionals who represent the BIPOC artist community in North Texas, including:
Liliana Bloch, Gallery Director and Founder, Liliana Bloch Gallery
Sara Cardona, Visual Artist and Executive Artistic Director, Teatro Dallas
Viola Delgado, Visual Artist
Riley Holloway, Visual Artist
Christian Vasquez, Filmmaker.
$4,000 USD per grant
The open call is now CLOSED. Recipients will be announced in May 2021.
In order to have applied for this grant, the artist needed to:
- identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color
- be a working visual artist with a sustained practice based in North Texas
- be able to produce proof of residence in one of the following counties: Dallas County, Tarrant County, Rockwall County, Collin County or Denton County
- be at least 21 years of age
- be experiencing dire financial distress due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- have a resume or CV
- not be a full-time employee, board member, director, officer or immediate family member of anyone involved with the Dallas Foundation or AURORA
- not have previously been awarded a relief grant from this fund
All applicants also had to submit:
- a brief bio
- a resume or CV demonstrating career path
- a statement of need and intent for use of the funds
- up to 5 images of previous works and/or 1-3 videos
Have questions? Check out our FAQs here.